Hi Sweet Friends,
My husband recently took two huge boxes of bank statements and other personal papers to a professional shredding business, which shreds boxes of your documents while you watch. We never used to use a paper shredder. But now, because of the risk of identity theft, it’s an integral part of our mail disposal.
In order to protect your authentic identity in Christ, this week you are going to have the opportunity to shred old, untrue vestiges of your identity and to embrace the truth of who you are in Christ.
Your Week 5 assignment is to…read Chapter 23, My Identity. As you’ve probably noticed, we won’t be reading the book in order—instead, I will be picking and choosing from among my favorite chapters (and that’s sort of hard!). But I’m praying and trusting God to lead us.
This week I encourage you to recognize and shred the lies you have believed about yourself and declare God’s truth over your life.
- Shred the lie that you are unloved, and declare that you are loved with an everlasting love (Jeremiah 31:3).
- Shred the lie that you don’t matter, and declare that you are the apple of His eye (Psalm 17:8).
- Shred the lie that you will never change, and declare that you are a new creation in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17).
- Shred the lie that you are unattractive, and declare that you are fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14).
- Shred the lie that you are worthless, and declare that He considers you priceless because He paid for you with His very life (1 Corinthians 6:20).
- Shred the lie that you are rejected and declare that you are accepted as a child of God (John 1:12).
(Page 119) …The only way to protect ourselves from spiritual identity theft is to study, absorb, accept, and believe what Scripture says about us and then refute the lies of the enemy with that truth. We must allow God’s word, which is living and active and sharper than two-edged sword, to completely and utterly transform us at our very core.
This week’s verse:
Yet amid all these things we are more than conquerors and gain a surpassing victory through Him Who loved us. (Romans 8:37)
This week’s questions:
- What lie have you allowed the enemy to make you feel? (Ashamed, unloved, unworthy, etc.)
- Are you willing to let go of the lies you have embraced throughout your life and instead embrace the truth of God’s word?
With God’s help and through His Word, the way we think about ourselves, our very identities, can be transformed. But it requires work. We must be willing to let go of the old and embrace the new…the truth of who God’s declares us to be. Are you willing to do that this week as you pray about your identity?
I will be praying for you all week long as together you pray about your identity. For further (optional) interaction, please meet me (and lots of awesome women!) on the Prayers for a Woman's Soul community Facebook Page to respond do the daily questions, receive the daily evening prayer, or just leave your thoughts and prayers.
If you are reading this via email, please CLICK HERE to share your thoughts by leaving a comment.