Pursuing your dream will make you feel the same way.
I can't tell you the number of people I've encountered who, when they discover I'm a writer, tell me they have a book inside them, too. When I ask them what they're doing to pursue their dream of writing a book, I'm usually met with a shrug. They fail to understand that dreams don't come to fruition without fierce effort.
Whether we want to write, dance, figure-skate, start our own business, or start a diet, we all have to work hard, and work our way up. We all have to pay our dues.
If you've ever watched American Idol, you've probably cringed when someone stands before the judges and mutilates a song. That person has a dream, but they lack the talent or the discipline (or both) to take it to the next level.
Yet we're all thrilled when someone's voice gives us goosebumps. What we should realize is that usually many years of training, practice and hard work have made that person's voice a thing of beauty.
It's the same with our dreams. Pursuing our dream requires hard work, perseverance and:
- Focus - In a culture that values multi-tasking, single-minded focus enables us to keep making progress when others veer off the path.
- Goals - Establishing realistic yet challenging goals from the beginning keeps us motivated and helps us to see our progress and adjust our course if necessary.
- Diligence - Unfortunately, the world is filled with slackers. Applying ourselves with steady, careful effort yields excellence--a trait that makes us stand out.
- Time - There are no short cuts to a dream; every dream takes time to come to fruition. If we are wise, we will use this time to learn, study, and practice, practice, practice.
- Passion - The foundation of every dream is passion. Do you love what you're doing? Pursuing your dream should excite and energize you.
- Prayer - The most important component to every dream is soaking it with our prayers every step of the way. When we submit our dreams to God, He equips us, opens doors, and gives us grace when the going gets tough.
A dream is only a wish until we do something about it. Yes, dreams are free, but we always have to do our part. How about you? What hard goal are you working toward?