Do you have a dream exploding on the inside of you? Have you thought about what it might take to make that dream a reality?
Yes, I believe that God is the author of (most of) our dreams. But that doesn’t mean that we simply wait expectantly for Him to accomplish everything. If that were the case, we’d never have to lift a finger. Pursuing our God-given dreams is nothing short of hard work.
If your dream hasn’t happened yet, here are what I consider the most important steps in pursuing your dream:
1. Pray – Before you begin anything, ask for the ability to clearly perceive God’s will regarding your dream. Be certain He is leading you. Ask for wisdom to understand which steps to take next, and when to take them. Then, ask God specifically to equip you for His plans and purposes and for grace to not only begin well, but end well.
3. Get Equipped – Get informed about the subject of your dream. As you are able, spend time learning at conferences and workshops, read as much as you can, study and absorb, then begin to practice what you’ve learned. Practice a lot. Get feedback from trusted professionals and strive to improve.
4. Start small – Dip your toe in the water to see whether or not you’ve got what it takes. Yes, we risk awkwardness or outright embarrassment. But we could also discover the beauty and satisfaction of taking the first steps in our calling. Remember, “Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin…”(Zechariah 4:10)
5. Be diligent – Work steadily, earnestly, and energetically. Strive to make progress. Be prepared to do your part when the opportunity arises and God opens doors for you. Do your absolute best and leave the results in God’s hands.
6. Don’t give up – Often our timing and God’s timing are radically different. After six months of submitting articles to various publications, I had nothing to show for it. Frustrated, I prayed about it, and I sensed God saying “Don’t grow weary in well-doing.” (Galatians 6:9). Just two weeks later I received my first acceptance. Perseverance pays off!
I’ve learned that a dream unfolds slowly—one obedient step at a time. As we prayerfully do our part and trust God to do His, our dreams will begin to materialize.
Leave me a prayer comment—a prayer for your dream—whether your dream is just starting or you’ve been pursuing it for a long time. I’ll join you in praying that God will orchestrate your dreams and equip you with His grace.